Discover the Day of Atonement’s End Time Connection, and Why God’s Holiest Day should Matter to ALL of us Today more than Ever
Robert Rite (10/8/16): When the Sovereign God refers to a moment in time as “The Day” or “That day”, it symbolizes a period of extreme divine and prophetic significance. If you are thinking, well I am Christian, so why does a Jewish feast matter to me – then you surely want to read this message.
In this message I am NOT predicting that the end of this age occurs on 10/12/16; that would be quite foolish. Rather, I believe, that a great event is reserved for a future “Day of Atonement“. Why? Because this is an appointed day in which God comes down and observes mankind’s individual and collective soul and determines if man deserves a blessing or a curse the following year. Hmmm…what do you think man deserves today, a blessing or a curse?
In the Hebraic calendar, the New Year begins on Rosh Hashanah which falls in the September/October timeframe, as determined by the lunar calendar. For example, in 2016, the Hebrew New Year is celebrated on 10/3/16, and the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) is observed on 10/12/16.
Why is this day the Holiest of God’s 7 Appointed Feasts?
Of God’s SEVEN appointed holy days, “the Day of Atonement” is the only one that is NOT a celebratory occasion – but rather it is a day of sorrow, and reflection; when one afflicts their soul, with fasting and repentance. It is the holiest of God’s appointed High Holy feast days. In fact, it is so Holy that it is called “the Sabbath of Sabbaths” (Leviticus 16:29; Leviticus 23:1-2; Leviticus 23:26-32; Numbers 29:7-11).
I perceive that it is the holiest day because eternal salvation should be on top of every persons priority list, and sin that is not atoned for by the blood of Christ leads to eternal death! More importantly, I believe God set aside a full day to allow all to repent for all of the past years sins, for God does not want even one soul to perish (2 Peter 3:9)
Why Should we Christians Care?
Because the Day of Atonement is connected to the coming
If it were not so, then why is a Day of Atonement ritual conducted in heaven during the Great Tribulation (apocalypse/Armageddon)?
References to follow.
Brethren in Christ, if you believe that the bible is the inspired word of God, then you have eyes and ears to see, hear and believe the following:
1) That the 7 appointed feasts were meant for all mankind not just the Jews; and that EVERY one of the 7 feasts of God confirms Jesus Christ as the Messiah!
2) That the early church founded by Christ and executed by Paul and the apostles established and practiced these truths before they were martyred and before the truth was kidnapped and corrupted (Matthew 5:17).
3) That through the Holy Spirit and the blood of Messiah Jesus we believers of Christ (the church/body of Christ) are an extension of Israel – grafted to the covenant; as spiritual Israel (Romans 11:17, 19, 23, 24)!
The Abrahamic covenant did not cease at the cross. Instead, the blood of Christ was the conduit that activated God’s plan of redemption for all mankind; thus the promise continues to manifest in this age and beyond. This is exactly why Jesus referred to the time just before the apocalypse as a period of “birth pangs”. Because the apocalypse is the 7 year period where the earth undergoes a spiritual and physical rebirth – whereby the kingdoms of this world are transformed and reborn through refining fire and replaced with new heavens and a new earth (Rev. 11:15; Rev. 21:1)
Rev. 11:15 “Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!”
Only after the earth is replaced with a new sanctified earth, cleansed of satanic filth, can the promises that God made to Abraham fully blossom through the body of Christ. By Everlasting covenant, God was revealing that the promise would extend beyond this corrupted age!
Why there will be a final Day of Atonement during the Apocalypse
During the time that the Jews had a temple in Jerusalem, they were able to perform the 7 feast day ceremonies as prescribed by the Lord. This of course included the Day of Atonement. During this holy ritual, the high priest would bring a vessel containing the blood of an unblemished lamb (symbolic of Messiah Jesus), and he would enter the Holy of Holies where the Ark of the Covenant was placed.
He would sprinkle the blood seven times upon the mercy seat (Lev. 16:14). Seven is the number of completion – so the sprinkling seven times indicates that the sins are completely wiped away (covered) by the sacrifice. Jesus is the Lamb of God that covers the sins of mankind (1 John 2:2).
The activities in heaven described in the Book of Revelation that are occurring during the great tribulation (apocalypse), seems to be a “Day of Atonement” ceremony which is taking place before the Throne room of God Almighty by the High Priest of heaven; Jesus Christ?
We see this Day of Atonement ritual in Rev. 8:1-6; with the difference that this will be the last “Day of Atonement” ceremony, because this time, after 6,000 years of patience from God there is no more atoning blood to sprinkle upon the altar. On “that day” the age of grace will be replaced with the Wrath of God Judgments.
This time, instead of the blood of the Lamb, there are Seven death angels standing by with seven instruments of judgment to be poured out upon the inhabitants of the earth. By this time, the Trumpet has already sounded and the Lamb of God has been crowned as King of Kings and Lord of Lords; transformed into conquering Messiah! He now has no more redeeming blood to pour out. He now has a two edged sword to judge the sins of the world.
Let’s review just a few more Passage’s that connect the Day of Atonement to the Great Tribulation Judgments of the Apocalypse
1) Rev. 16:14 – Here the battle of Armageddon is referred to as the Great Day of God Almighty – also connected to the Day of Atonement, when the wrath of God judgments are poured out upon the armies of the world, which gather under the direction of antichrist to do battle with Messiah Jesus (Rev.19:19) – can you believe that they think they can win – how’s that for depraved arrogance! Yes, things are going to get even wackier than they already are.
2) Ez. 39:6-8 – “….and I will not let them profane My holy name anymore. Then the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. Surely it is coming, and it shall be done,” says the Lord God. “This is the day of which I have spoken.” (emphasis mine)
NOTE: This passage refers to Armageddon again as “the day“ supporting my thesis that Armageddon is connected with the Day of Atonement.
3) Revelation 11:19; and again in Rev. 15:5-8 – makes reference to the temple, Ark of the Covenant, an open door to the Holy of Holies, which are all related to the Day of Atonement; and it then connects them to flashes of lightning, rumblings, and peals of thunder, an earthquake and a severe hailstorm which are all symbolic of the last trump, Armageddon and second coming of Messiah.
4) The above is taking place just before we hear the climactic words: “it is done” in Revelation 16:17! Another reference to the apocalypse and end of days.
5) In Rev. 8:2 there are seven angels carrying seven trumpets that release a series of seven judgments. In Joshua 6:8 – during a Day of Atonement ceremony we read of seven priests blowing seven trumpets before the Ark of the Covenant.
6) In Rev. 15:8 – the temple is filled with smoke just like God instructed the priests to do during the Day of Atonement service (Lev. 16:13).
7) In Rev. 15:8 we also read that no one is allowed into the temple in heaven, just like in Lev. 16:17, whereby anyone who entered the Holy of Holies other than the High Priest on the Day of Atonement would instantly die. No mortal being can be in the presence of Almighty God and live.
8) In the Armageddon passages of Revelation 16:14-17, the phrase “behold, I come as a thief” suddenly appears out of nowhere. This confirms how the Messiah Jesus returns sometime during Armageddon since He returns to war against the armies and forces of this world who are aligned with the enemy! And this is supported in other passages such as Rev. 19:11-16; Rev. 19:19; Rev. 20:9.
Why Should Unbelievers Also Care?
Because there will be NO ATONEMENT for SIN on the final Day of Atonement service! It will be too late by then to repent – the door to paradise is locked shut. The last Day of Atonement ceremony is actually performed in Heaven (Read Revelation), and this time instead of sacrificial redeeming blood, judgment is poured out upon the inhabitants of the earth!
There must be a final Day of Atonement during the Apocalypse, because unrepentant sin must be destroyed by fire
Today, the Earth is Indeed Polluted. But The enemy wants us to focus on the earth’s physical pollution; but as the following passage makes very clear – God is focused on the pollution in the hearts of mankind. On a coming Day of Atonement, the Lord will look down and observe mankind’s heart, He will see how so many have taken the mark of the beast (Satan) and have chosen Satan to rule over them as their god. Because sin cannot exist in a sanctified earth, it will be destroyed by fire, as the following prophecy reveals:
“The earth is polluted because of its inhabitants, for they have transgressed the laws, violated the statutes, and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse devours the earth, and its inhabitants are held guilty, therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men are left.” Isaiah 24:3-4
Why all believers should Pray on the Day of Atonement
As you and I are a witness, today the world is drunk with the wine of the cup of iniquity (Rev. 18:3). I admonish you to say a personal prayer of contrition for your household, especially on the Day of Atonement 10/12/16. Pray that the hedge of protection over your household may not be removed. Also pray for this fallen world that God may spare us from hell on earth for another year. You can pray something like this:
“Jehovah God the Almighty, sovereign God of the universe, I pray that although on this day of atonement when you observe great iniquity and depravity, that for the sake of your elect, those who revere your Holy Name, that in your grace and mercy, you will once again relent from the great judgment that you have appointed for mankind for a certain day and time, and that we all certainly deserve. I know that you are now only waiting for the cup of iniquity to fill up and overflow before your hammer drops. I also know that in your mercy you await the full number of saved souls to be reached. Lord God remember my soul on this day and count me worthy for redemption oh Lord; I ask that you forgive my transgressions throughout this past year, and that the blood of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (Yeshua) atones for all my sins so that I may be counted worthy to be sheltered on the Day of the Lord’s Anger. Your will be done, in Yeshua Jesus name, Amen”
I trust that you now appreciate why this day is set aside as most Holy. This day should also serve as a reminder of how connected we all are to our Jewish brothers and sisters, as we both worship the same God. In our case, when we observe the Jewish feasts we see that all of God’s appointed feasts point to Jesus Christ as Messiah.
If you want to learn more about this holy day, the following article provides more details on the actual ceremony and its messianic connection:
In summary, the age of man will conclude sometime around a final Day of Atonement ceremony in heaven, just before the Messiah’s return! Until then:
be prepared, keep His word, and Praise the Lord!